Thursday, December 30, 2010

Open Letter to The Food Network

Dear Food Network,

Let me begin by saying how much I enjoy your programming in general. Alton Brown, Giada De Laurentiis, Ina Garten, Guy Fieri, ... they are some of my culinary heros. I would estimate that I spend a good 75% of my  viewing time with your channel. However, I have a bone to pick with you.

I hate your commercials.

Oh, not all of them. Just the ones that are nasty.

I don't appreciate it when I'm groovin' on Paula Deen, all fried and buttery, or Anne Burrell talking about her big beautiful [chicken] breasts then, all of a sudden, I'm watching an ad about dirty catheters. It's like eating at a restaurant and someone puts a dirty ashtray on a plate. Actually, it's worse. It's like someone pissed on my plate. In front of me. While I'm taking a bite.

I will say that I don't mind the ads about the mail-order diabetic supplies. I can tolerate ads about mesothelioma. But the dirty catheter ads? They are simply in the poorest taste imaginable.

It occurs to me to ask: don't you have anyone that reviews your ads for appropriateness?
Surely your marketing department can find better advertisers than a catheter company.

I hope that in the future, your viewing public may expect a higher quality service from you.

Love and butter,

Robert Pickett

No comments:

Post a Comment