Saturday, December 18, 2010

Conversation with Left-For-Dead

A guest came in tonight that had been beaten and left for dead on the side of the road several months back. While at my counter during check-in, Guest (in the interest of privacy and safety, I am omitting the name of said guest), while relating issues regarding the upcoming trial, started exhibiting what seemed to be symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) . Guest started having trouble breathing, eyes were wide in terror, body began to hunch over.

"Look at me. Breathe," I said calmly. "Stretch your arms high and breathe again. Keep looking at me. Do you trust me?"

"Yes, you're a very nice person," Guest says.

"Thank you. Now, ask yourself, 'are you in danger right now?'" Guest starts to get wide-eyed again. I firmly pat Guest's hands on my desktop. "BE HERE RIGHT NOW. Are you in danger, right NOW?"

"No, I'm fine," Guest says. Predictably, Guest's breath normalizes.

I explain that while the doctors did a great job fixing Guest's body (Guest nearly died five times on the way to the hospital that night), sometimes they forget to tell the patient that the soul needs attention in order to heal. The immediate breathlessness and anxiety Guest experienced can be remedied by focusing on the five senses. What do I feel? What do I smell? What do I hear? Over and over again. Assess your surroundings, is it really immediate danger you are getting warnings about? Or is it your imagination getting away with you?

Guest begins to cry a little and starts to tell me a little more about the incident, which is just harrowing. I recommend Guest seek out a counselor that specializes in severe trauma, ASAP. I also explained a quick-fix self-hypnosis technique that can help to calm the mind.

Honestly, it's neither my job nor my place to provide counseling. When I was in bartender training, that's one of the first things you learn - the Hollywood idea that the bartender can be your therapist is WRONG. However, what are you supposed to do when they are breaking down in front of you?

SIGH. You help them.

2 comments: