Sunday, January 16, 2011

Follow-up with Left For Dead

A few weeks back, I posted a conversation that I had with a guest at my hotel who I referred to as "Left For Dead" (LFD), because they had been beaten to the point of being unrecognizable and left to die on the side of the road. LFD has been a regular guest since my tenure here as the night manager but had been absent for the last several weeks. I've been curious about their situation.

I found out that LFD stayed with us last night. I was just coming on-shift and we crossed paths. LFD is doing well, I'm happy to say, and preparing for trial against their attackers.

In our conversation, I happened to mention that I was feeling a little homesick for Seattle. LFD said "Just remember what you told me," and proceeded to instruct me in the same method of stress relief I had coached them on many weeks ago. To say the least, I was flabbergasted.

"You remembered all that?" I asked.

"Oh, absolutely," said LFD. "If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't be able to sleep most nights."

I don't know about you, but it's not very often I get feedback from people telling me how much I've helped them. It was touching to know that I had helped LFD in a meaningful fashion. I almost started crying.

LFD says "I would hug you, but I know you are a manager and that wouldn't be appropriate."

"A hug? You've done better than give me a hug. You've given me a sense of worth when I needed it most."

No comments:

Post a Comment